بودكاست التاريخ

شاليس تايلر ستانتون

شاليس تايلر ستانتون

ولد Chales Tyler Stanton في بومبي ، مقاطعة أونونداغا ، في 11 مارس 1811. عمل كاتبًا في متجر ، لكنه اهتم بشدة بعلم النبات والجيولوجيا. انتقل ستانتون إلى شيكاغو عام 1835 حيث أسس شركته الخاصة.

في عام 1846 انضم إلى قطار عربة حزب دونر في رحلته من إندبندنس بولاية ميسوري إلى حصن ساتر في كاليفورنيا. اتبع الحزب طريق أوريغون تريل حتى وصلوا إلى فورت بريدجر في 28 يوليو.

في الحصن التقى الحزب لانسفورد هاستينغز. كان مشغولاً بمحاولة إقناع المهاجرين المتجهين إلى ولاية أوريغون بالذهاب إلى كاليفورنيا عن طريق ما أصبح يُعرف باسم قطع هاستينغز. ادعى هاستينغز أن طريقه سيزيل 300 ميل من المسافة إلى حصن سوتر. اشتمل قطعه على عبور جبال واساتش ، حول بحيرة سولت ليك الكبرى إلى الجنوب ، ثم طريقه غربًا إلى نهر هومبولت في نيفادا ، قبل العودة إلى المسار الرئيسي من فورت هول.

أخبر هاستينغز الناس أن الصحراء كانت على بعد 40 ميلاً فقط وأنهم سيجدون الماء بعد 24 ساعة. كان عرضه في الواقع 82 ميلاً ولم يتم العثور على الماء إلا بعد 48 ساعة من السفر. أخبر هاستينغز جورج دونر وجيمس ريد أن ثلاث قطارات واغن قد اختارت بالفعل هذا الطريق.

لقد قضى حزب دونر وقتًا سيئًا حتى الآن وكان بالفعل متأخرًا عن معظم قطارات العربات الأخرى التي تسافر من إندبندنس إلى حصن سوتر. كانوا يعلمون أن عليهم عبور سييرا نيفادا قبل تساقط الثلوج التي ستصل إلى حصن سوتر. حدث هذا عادة في أوائل نوفمبر. على الرغم من أنهم كانوا في الموعد المحدد للوصول إلى الجبال بحلول أواخر الصيف ، إلا أنهم كانوا قلقين بشأن التأخيرات الأخرى التي قد تؤدي إلى عرقلة الطقس الشتوي. لذلك اتخذوا قرارًا بأخذ نصيحة Lansford Hastings واتخاذ المسار المختصر المقترح.

في 31 يوليو ، غادر حزب دونر فورت بريدجر. لم يخرجوا من وادي الصدى حتى السادس من أغسطس. ما توقعوه أن يستغرقهم أربعة أيام قد أخذهم في الواقع سبعة أيام. لقد عثروا على رسالة من لانسفورد هاستينغز ينصحهم بالتخييم في نهر ويبر وإرسال رجل أمامهم ليجدوه حتى يتمكن من توجيههم إلى طريق جديد إلى كاليفورنيا. ذهب ستانتون وجيمس ريد لملاحقة هاستينغز. عندما وجدوه رفض عرض أن يصبح المرشد الشخصي لقطار دونر واجن. وبدلاً من ذلك ، قام برسم خريطة تقريبية للطريق الجديد.

دخل حزب دونر جبال واساتش في 12 أغسطس. سرعان ما اكتشفوا أنه كان عليهم شق طريقهم عبر شجر الحور والقطن والشجيرات المتشابكة لإيجاد طريق للعربات. خلال الأيام القليلة التالية ، اضطروا إلى إزاحة الصخور وبناء الجسور عبر المستنقعات من أجل الوصول إلى وادي بحيرة سولت ليك الكبرى. انضمت الآن عائلة جريفز وعرباتهم الثلاث إلى العربات الثلاثة والعشرون التابعة لحزب دونر. كما سجلت فيرجينيا ريد لاحقًا ، كانت المجموعة الجديدة تتكون من "دبليو إف جريفز وزوجته وثمانية أطفال وصهره جاي فوسديك وشاب اسمه جون سنايدر".

كان الآن يوم 27 أغسطس وما زالوا مضطرين لعبور صحراء الملح. أدرك أعضاء الحزب الآن أنهم يواجهون مشكلة خطيرة ولم يكن لديهم الآن سوى فرصة ضئيلة لعبور جبال سييرا نيفادا قبل أن تسد ثلوج الشتاء طريقهم. تم دفع العربات الأسرع للأمام وكانت العربات البطيئة المحملة بالثقل من Reeds و Donners تتراجع أكثر فأكثر.

وصل حزب دونر إلى قمة بايلوت في الثامن من سبتمبر. لتمكينهم من المواكبة ، كان على Reeds و Donners التخلي عن بعض البضائع الثقيلة التي كانوا يحملونها. كما تخلوا عن ثلاث عربات وزادوا عدد الثيران التي تجر العربات المتبقية. كانت لدى أعضاء الحزب أيضًا شكوك حول ما إذا كان لديهم ما يكفي من الطعام قبل وصولهم إلى كاليفورنيا. لذلك تقرر إرسال رجلين ، ستانتون وويليام ماكوتشين ، إلى حصن سوتر من أجل شراء مؤن لقطار العربات.

بدأ حزب دونر الآن باتجاه نهر همبولت. في 30 سبتمبر وصلوا إلى المسار الرئيسي من Fort Hall إلى Sutter's Fort. ومع ذلك ، بحلول هذا الوقت ، كانت بقية قطارات العربات التي يبلغ عددها 1846 قد اختفت منذ فترة طويلة وكانت موجودة بالفعل في كاليفورنيا. واجه حزب Donner الآن مشكلة من Paiute. سرقوا ثورين وحصانين. كما أطلقوا عدة سهام على عربة القطار وأصابوا بعض الحيوانات.

في الخامس من أكتوبر 1846 ، ضربت كارثة أخرى حزب دونر. دار جدال بين جيمس ريد وجون سنايدر حول إحدى العربات. فقد سنايدر أعصابه وضربه على رأسه بسوط. سحب ريد سكينه ووضعه في جسد سنايدر. تمتم سنايدر: "عمي باتريك ، أنا ميت". كان توقعه صحيحًا ، وبدأ لويس كيسبرغ على الفور في إعداد لسان عربة كمشنقة مؤقتة. استخدم وليام إيدي بندقيته للإصرار على أن ريد لن يُعدم دون محاكمة. وافق الآخرون وبعد نقاش طويل تقرر أنه يجب إبعاد ريد من عربة القطار. أُجبر على شق طريقه إلى حصن سوتر على ظهور الخيل بدون أسلحة. بالنسبة للكثيرين في الحزب كان هذا يعادل الحكم على ريد بالإعدام.

بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، طرد لويس كيسبرغ أحد موظفيه ، هاردكوب ، من عربته. لم يسبق رؤيته مرة أخرى ولا يُعرف ما إذا كان قد مات من الجوع أو قُتل على يد قبائل الأمريكيين الأصليين. تبع ذلك اختفاء ألماني آخر اسمه ولفنجر. جوزيف راينهاردت وأوغسطس سبيتزر اعترفوا فيما بعد بأنهم سرقوا وقتلوا ولفنجر.

كان على حزب دونر الآن عبور صحراء 40 ميلاً. خلال الأيام الثلاثة التالية ، عانى قطار العربات من هجمات متكررة من مجموعات المحاربين. خلال هذا الوقت قاموا بسرقة 18 ثورًا وقتلوا 21 آخرين وجرحوا كثيرين آخرين. نظرًا لأن معظم حيواناتهم ماتت الآن أو سُرقت ، اضطر الحزب إلى التخلي عن عرباتهم. وصل الحزب إلى بحيرة تروكي في نهاية أكتوبر.

في 19 أكتوبر ، عاد ستانتون من حصن سوتر مع سبعة بغال محملة بالطعام. أصيب ويليام ماكوتشين بالمرض وأُجبر على البقاء في الحصن. ومع ذلك ، فقد أحضر ستانتون معه دليلين هنديين لمساعدتهما في الوصول إلى كاليفورنيا. جلب ستانتون أيضًا أخبارًا تفيد بأن جيمس ريد قد وصل بنجاح إلى كاليفورنيا. في 20 أكتوبر ، قتل ويليام فوستر صهره في حادث إطلاق نار.

بدأ حزب دونر الآن محاولته لعبور جبال سييرا نيفادا. جعلهم القليل من هبات الثلوج يدركون أنهم كانوا في سباق يائس للوقت. كان بإمكانهم أن يروا من بعيد أن القمم مغطاة بالثلوج. في 25 أكتوبر فتح محارب بايوت النار على ما تبقى من الحيوانات. ضرب تسعة عشر ثورا قبل أن يقتله ويليام إيدي.

استمر المهاجرون في الحرث ولكن عندما وصلوا إلى مسافة ثلاثة أميال من القمة وجدوا طريقهم مسدودًا بجرافات ثلجية يبلغ ارتفاعها خمسة أقدام. لقد أُجبروا الآن على العودة والبحث عن ملجأ في كوخ مروا به عند سفح الجبل. في هذه الأثناء ، كان جيمس ريد وويليام ماكوتشون قد انطلقوا بما يكفي من الطعام لإبقاء حزب دونر على قيد الحياة لفصل الشتاء. ومع ذلك ، فقد وجدوا طريقهم مسدودًا واضطروا للعودة مع بغالهم إلى حصن سوتر.

شرع الأعضاء الناجون من عربة القطار الآن في بناء معسكر بجوار ما أصبح يُعرف لاحقًا باسم بحيرة دونر. انتقل باتريك دولان وباتريك برين وعائلته إلى المقصورة المهجورة بينما بنى لويس كيسبيرج منحدرًا مقابل أحد الجدران. بنى ويليام إيدي وويليام فوستر كوخًا خشبيًا. وكذلك فعل ستانتون أيضًا. كان من المقرر أن تستضيف قمرته عائلة جريفز ومارجريت ريد وأطفالها. تمكن جورج دونر من بناء مأوى بدائي لعائلته.

كان حزب دونر يعاني من نقص شديد في الطعام. تم قتل الحيوانات المتبقية وأكلت. محاولات صيد الأسماك في النهر باءت بالفشل. ذهب بعض الرجال للصيد ولكن خلال الأسبوعين التاليين لم يتمكنوا من قتل سوى دب واحد وذئب وبومة وسنجاب رمادي. كان من الواضح أنهم إذا بقوا في المخيم سيموتون جوعًا وفي 12 نوفمبر قام ثلاثة عشر رجلاً وامرأتان بمحاولة أخرى للوصول إلى حصن سوتر. ومع ذلك ، وجدوا طريقهم مسدودًا بانجراف ثلجي يبلغ ارتفاعه 10 أقدام وعادوا إلى المخيم.

استراح الحفل لبضعة أيام ثم قام حزب بقيادة ستانتون وويليام إيدي بمحاولة أخرى للوصول إلى بر الأمان. في 21 نوفمبر عادوا إلى المعسكر مهزومًا. بعد ذلك بوقت قصير مات بايليس ويليامز. حفز هذا الأعضاء الأقوى في الحزب على القيام بمحاولة أخيرة لعبور الجبال.

في 16 ديسمبر غادر خمسة عشر عضوا من الحزب المعسكر وتوجهوا إلى القمة. أصبح هذا معروفًا باسم مجموعة Forlorn Hope. بمساعدة الطقس الأفضل ، تمكنوا هذه المرة من عبور الممر الجبلي. في 20 ديسمبر ، وصلوا إلى مكان يسمى Yuba Bottoms. في صباح اليوم التالي ، لم يكن ستانتون قوياً بما يكفي لمغادرة المعسكر. أُجبر الباقون على تركه ليموت.

حسنًا ، ما قد يفاجئك ربما هو أنني سأبدأ في كاليفورنيا غدًا ، لقد قابلت فرصة جيدة ، وأعتقد أنه من المشكوك فيه أن أجد أي شيء لأفعله في هذا البلد ، فقد خلصت إلى الذهاب ... إذا لم تقرأ أبدًا هاستينغز (كتاب) أوريغون وكاليفورنيا احصل عليه واقرأه. سترى بعض الإغراءات التي قادتني إلى هذه الخطوة التي آمل أن أتجاوزها بأمان ، وأعتقد أن هناك خطرًا ضئيلًا عندما نذهب في مثل هذه الحشود الكبيرة بحيث نكون قانونًا لأنفسنا وحماية لبعضنا البعض.

في معسكرنا كان لدينا عدة عائلات من ولاية أوريغون ، تتكون من عشرين عربة. بعض الاضطرابات الصغيرة التي نشأت ، خلصوا إلى الانسحاب من حزبنا والمضي قدمًا على خطافهم ، وتشكيل شركة خاصة بهم ، وحشدوا قوة من حوالي عشرين رجلًا مقاتلًا. مضوا إلى الأمام لعدة أيام ونزلوا على بعد ميل أو ميلين منا. في حفلهم كان هناك العديد من السيدات الشابات - معظمهم من الشباب. نشأت صداقات وتعلق كان من الصعب كسرها. منذ ذلك الحين ، أصبحت شركتنا مهجورة تقريبًا ، من قبل الشباب كل يوم يركبون على ظهور الخيل ، ويتظاهرون بالصيد ، ولكن بدلاً من ملاحقة الغزلان أو الظباء الأسطول ، يتم العثور عليهم عمومًا بين فتيات أوريغون العادل! وهكذا يذهبون ، كل يوم ، يمارسون الحب على جانب الطريق ، في وسط أعنف وأجمل المناظر الطبيعية ، ويعجبون الآن بالتعرجات لبعض الجداول المبهجة ، أو مجرى نهر نبيل!

بعد السفر ليوم واحد أو يومين ، نزلنا في منطقة Little Blue التي تزخر بالأسماك ، وكانت مهارتي كصياد هنا على المحك ؛ لكنني نجحت في اصطياد واحد من أفضل ما رأيته على الإطلاق ، والذي تناولناه في الصباح التالي لتناول الإفطار ... سافرنا لعدة أيام فوق هذا الجدول الرائع ، وفي كل ليلة وجدنا أرضًا رومانسية للتخييم. كان المشهد أجمل - تجولت العين فوق الآفاق العادلة للتلال والوادي.

كان أحدهم حريصًا على الوصول إلى Platte ... لقد سافرنا الآن لمدة أربعة أيام فوق Blue ، وستأخذنا مسيرة يوم واحد إلى ذلك النهر العظيم. لذلك ، تم استئناف مسيرة هذا اليوم بحذر. كان علينا عبور سهل مرتفع ، الحافة الفاصلة بين مياه كنساس و Platte. في حوالي الساعة الحادية عشرة صباحًا ، يمكننا أن ندرك ، عندما عبرنا أعلى ارتفاع ، أن الأرض تنحدر تدريجيًا في كلا الاتجاهين ، وبعيدًا يمكن رؤية التلال الصغيرة أو التلال ، التي شكلت سلسلة التلال أو الخنادق للنهر النبيل ... حوالي الساعة الثانية بعد الظهر ، عندما رأينا ، في صعود أعلى نقطة من الأرض ، منتشرًا أمامنا ، وادي بلات النبيل. كلنا نهلل بسرور ومفاجأة. وادي بلات! لا يوجد شيء آخر مثله. تقع المخادع على بعد من عشرة إلى خمسة عشر ميلاً ، والنهر ، بعرض أكثر من ميل ، يتدفق عبر المركز. تنخفض الخدع فجأة من 50 إلى 100 قدم ، عندما يكون هناك منحدر تدريجي إلى حافة الماء. لا توجد عصا خشبية واحدة يمكن رؤيتها على جانبي النهر - إنها مرج واحد لا نهاية له بقدر ما يمكن للعين أن تمتد ؛ ومع ذلك ، هناك ارتياح موجود في العديد من جزر النهر المغطاة بالخشب بشكل عام.

حوالي الساعة 10 صباحًا تم اكتشاف صخرة المدخنة ، على بعد حوالي أربعين ميلاً. رأيته. بدت وكأنها مستدقة صغيرة ، تبرز في ارتياح جريء ضد السماء. بعد يومين وصلنا إلى هذه الصخرة المشهورة ، ووصلنا إليها حوالي الظهيرة. تم تقدير ارتفاعه بشكل مختلف من قبل شركة التخمين الخاصة بنا ، من مائتين إلى ثمانمائة قدم. أفترض أنه يبلغ ارتفاعه ثلاثمائة قدم. إنه مستدير ، ينحدر بلطف ، ويصل إلى نقطة في قاعدة المدخنة ، 250 قدمًا ؛ ثم تبدأ المدخنة في الارتفاع في مربع مستطيل ، مساحته 10 × 20 قدمًا ، وأكثر من 100 قدم. بالأمس مررنا بفضول أكبر من هذا في رأيي ؛ أطلق عليها البعض اسم المحكمة ، وأطلق عليها البعض اسم القلعة ، وأطلق عليها البعض اسم برج القلعة. .... أثناء السفر فوق النهر إلى حصن لارامي ، لاحظت أن مقابضهم ، أو تلالهم ، أو خدعهم ، أو أي شيء آخر يمكن تسميته ، لا يمكن العثور عليها إلا على جانب واحد من النهر في ذلك الوقت ،. ... كان هذا هو الحال قبل الوصول إلى "دار المحكمة" ، ولكن هنا قفزوا فجأة عبر الجدول ، وكان المبنى الأول الذي رأيناه هو الكتلة الهائلة على قمم الخداع ، على ارتفاع 200 قدم فوق النهر. هناك يقف ، منعزلًا ووحيدًا ، في عظمة مهيبة.

غادرنا معسكرنا في القلعة يوم الأحد ، وصعدنا إلى Laramie Fork على بعد ميلين وخيمنا ... كتبت النصف الآخر من رسالتي إليكم. لكنني لم أكملها حتى صباح اليوم التالي وحتى ذلك الحين ، حتى مغادرة شركتنا. انتظرت وراء أكثر من ساعة لإنهائه ... كانت آخر العربات قد اختفت منذ فترة طويلة خلف التلال ... وكنت وحيدًا أمشي سيرًا على الأقدام لتجاوز العربات. سرعان ما وصلت إلى الطريق الرئيسي ، حيث رأيت أنه يصطف مع الهنود على ظهور الخيل ، عائدين من العربات التي كانوا يرافقونها لمسافة كبيرة في رحلتهم ، لغرض تأمين الهدايا التي يمكنهم الحصول عليها ومبادلة الخيول ... سرعان ما أحاطت بعشرة أو اثني عشر من سويكس ... ركبوا جميعًا وصافحوا يدي ، وأرادوا شيئًا لم أستطع فهمه. قام واحد أو اثنان بسحب سكاكينهم عبر حناجرهم. لقد صدمني هذا على أنه ليس تسلية ممتعة للغاية ، خاصة إذا كانوا سيُسلونني بهذه الطريقة. لقد قدمت لهم أخيرًا بضع قطع من التبغ ، والتي قبلوها بكل سرور ، وركبت على ما يبدو مسرورًا جيدًا ... عند الخروج بالعربات ، وجدت أن شركة أوريغون قد انضمت إلينا. منذ مغادرتنا ، تمت ثلاث زيجات ، وكانت واحدة أو اثنتان على الشريط. كنا جميعًا سعداء برؤية بعضنا البعض بعد انفصالنا الطويل ، ويبدو أن الشعور الجيد يسود طوال الوقت. لم نسافر بعيدًا قبل أن نبدأ صعود بلاك هيلز ، وكان لدينا إطلالة رائعة على قمة لارامي - وهي الأعلى في النطاق.

احتفلنا بالأمس في الرابع من تموز (يوليو). كسر زجاجة أو اثنتين من المشروبات الكحولية الجيدة ، والتي تم إخفاؤها لمنع عدد قليل من الحراس القدامى من السرقة ، (لذا فهم عطشان في هذا الطريق من أجل الخمور ، من أي نوع ، بحيث لا يُعتقد أن سرقتها ليست جريمة) ، خطاب أو خطبة من العقيد راسل ، بضع أغنيات للسيد براينت ، والعديد من السادة الآخرين ، مع موسيقى ، تتكون من كمان ، مزمار ، طبل كلب - قُتل الكلب الذي أُخذ منه الجلد ، وصنع الطبل الليلة السابقة - مع تفريغ جميع بنادق المعسكر ، في نهاية الكلام والأغنية والخبز المحمص ، خلقت واحدة من أكثر الإثارة الممتعة التي مررنا بها على الطريق.

في صباح السادس من تموز (يوليو) ، بعد يومين من الراحة ، انطلقنا وسافرنا عشرين ميلاً إلى دير كريك. كانت قمة لارامي مرئية طوال اليوم تقريبًا ، باتجاه الجنوب الشرقي. قرابة الظهيرة وصلنا إلى مفترق بلات الشمالي بعد أن تغيبنا عنه أكثر من أسبوع. حيث ضربنا النهر ، يوجد قاع جيد من الفحم الحجري ؛ لكن بلاتي العظيم ، الذي سافرنا عليه طويلًا وبعيدًا ، كيف تضاءل ، أو بالأحرى ، إلى جدول صغير. كانت المياه صافية ، لكنني لم أحبها كما فعلت عندما اختلطت بالرمل والطين عندما ضربنا النهر لأول مرة.

سافرنا طوال اليوم التالي فوق Platte ، وخيمنا بالقرب من بستان صغير على ضفاف النهر. يوم الأربعاء عبرنا بلاتي حوالي الظهر وسافرنا لمسافة ستة أميال. أصبحت الجاموس واللعبة الأخرى وفيرة. كل يوم يقتل شخص أو أكثر ، ونستمتع مرة أخرى باللحوم الطازجة. أعتقد أنه لا يوجد لحم بقر في العالم يساوي بقرة جاموس راقية - مثل هذه النكهة ، غنية جدًا ، ومثيرة للغاية ، تجعل الفم يسيل في التفكير.

صباح يوم الخميس ، غادرنا بلاتي والمدى الطويل من التلال السوداء على يسارنا ، وانطلقنا باتجاه المياه العذبة. ظهر العقيد بون مفعما بالإثارة ، وقال إنه خرج مع البعض الآخر ، وقتل ثمانية جاموس ، من بينها عدة أبقار وعجول سمينة ، وطلب من كل من يريد لحم الجاموس الحصول على ما يريد. في فترة ما بعد الظهر ، سافرنا على بعد أميال قليلة وخيمنا في نبع جيد.

المنطقة بأكملها من البلاد من حصن لارامي إلى هذا المكان شبه قاحلة بالكامل. لا يوجد عشب إلا في الوديان ، التي توجد في بعض الأماكن القليلة فقط ، مترفة. يبدو المرء في حيرة من أمره عن كيفية حساب كيف يمكن للجاموس أن يعيش على التلال التي يتواجد فوقها. تنمو المريمية البرية أو الشيح بكثرة في المنطقة بأكملها. ... الحكيم ليس مثل حكيم الحديقة. لها رائحة الخزامى ... في الأسبوع الأول بعد مغادرة الحصن ، عانينا ، على الرغم من أنه في منتصف الصيف ، نسمات الجبل الباردة ضرورية في الليل لتجميع أنفسنا في معاطفنا ، وغالبًا خلال اليوم بأكمله. لكن الأسبوع الماضي كان مختلفًا. كان الجو حارًا بشكل لا يطاق ليلًا ونهارًا - مقياس حرارة يتراوح من 95 إلى 100 درجة.

ظهر أمس وصلنا إلى "نقطة الذروة" ، أو التقسيم التلال بين المحيطين الأطلسي والهادئ. عشنا هذا المساء في ليتل ساندي ، أحد مفاصل النهر الأخضر ، وهو أحد روافد كولورادو العظيمة ، التي تصب في خليج كاليفورنيا. وهكذا تحققت أحلام اليقظة العظيمة في شبابي وسنوات نضوجي. لقد رأيت جبال روكي - عبرت نهر روبيكون ، وأنا الآن على المياه التي تتدفق إلى المحيط الهادئ! يبدو كما لو أنني تركت العالم القديم ورائي ، وأن هناك فجرًا جديدًا على عاتقي. في كل خطوة حتى الآن كان هناك شيء جديد ، شيء يجتذبه. إذا كانت الفترة المتبقية من رحلتي مثيرة للاهتمام ، فسوف يتم دفع أجر كبير لي مقابل المشاق والصعوبات في هذه الرحلة الشاقة.

قد لا تكون لدي فرصة أخرى لإرسال رسائل إليك حتى أصل إلى كاليفورنيا. نسلك طريقًا جديدًا إلى كاليفورنيا ، لم نسافر أبدًا قبل هذا الموسم ؛ وبالتالي فإن طريقنا يمر عبر منطقة جديدة مثيرة للاهتمام. نحن الآن في وادي نهر بير ، وسط جبال بير ريفر ، التي تغطي قممها الثلوج. بينما أكتب الآن ، تسعدنا شمس الصيف الدافئة ، بينما على بعد أميال قليلة ، تتألق الجبال المغطاة بالثلوج في عوارضها.

تركنا Fort Bridger ، ولسوء الحظ ، سلكنا الطريق الجديد ، سافرنا دون أي حادث ، حتى وصلنا إلى رأس Webber Canyon. على مسافة قصيرة قبل الوصول إلى هذا المكان وجدنا حرفًا عالقًا في الجزء العلوي من شجيرة حكيم. كان من هاستينغز. وذكر أننا إذا أرسلنا رسولا من بعده فسيعود ويقودنا في طريق أقصر بكثير وأفضل من الوادي. تم عقد اجتماع للشركة ، عندما تقرر إرسال السادة ماكوتشين وستانتون وأنا إلى السيد هاستينغز ؛ كما كنا في نفس الوقت لفحص الوادي والإبلاغ في وقت قصير.

في صباح اليوم التالي ، الصعود إلى قمة الجبل حيث يمكننا أن نتغاضى عن جزء من البلد الذي يقع بيننا وبين رأس الوادي ، حيث أقيم حزب دونر. بعد أن أعطاني التوجيه ، انفصلت أنا والسيد هاستينغز. عاد إلى الشركات التي كان قد تركها في الصباح السابق ، أمضيت في اتجاه الشرق. بعد النزول إلى ما يمكن تسميته أرض الطاولة ، سلكت مسارًا هنديًا وأشعلت النار في الطريق حيث كان من الضروري شق الطريق ، إذا وجهت الشركة ذلك عندما سمعوا التقرير. عندما مررت أنا ومكوتشين وستانتون عبر وادي ويبر في طريقنا للتغلب على السيد هاستينغز ، كانت استنتاجاتنا أن العديد من العربات ستدمر في محاولة عبور الوادي. كان على السيد ستانتون وماكوتشين أن يعودوا إلى شركتنا بالسرعة التي تتحملها خيولهم ، فقد كادوا أن يتنازلوا. وصلت إلى الشركة في المساء وأبلغتهم بالاستنتاجات المتعلقة بوابر ويبر ، وفي نفس الوقت ذكرت أن الطريق الذي أضرمت فيه النيران في ذلك اليوم كان عادلاً ، لكنه سيستغرق جهدًا كبيرًا في الحفر والحفر. اتفقوا بصوت إجماعي على أن يسلكوا هذا الطريق إذا كنت أرشدهم في صنع الطريق ، فهم يعملون بأمانة حتى اكتماله.

في التاسع عشر من أكتوبر ، أثناء السفر على طول Truckee ، سررت قلوبنا بعودة ستانتون ، مع سبعة بغال محملة بالمؤن. كان ماكوتشين مريضًا ولم يستطع السفر ، لكن الكابتن سوتر أرسل اثنين من فاكيرو الهندي ، لويس وسلفادور مع ستانتون. كما كنا جائعين ، أحضر لنا ستانتون شيئًا أفضل من الطعام - خبر أن والدي كان على قيد الحياة. التقى به ستانتون ولم يكن بعيدًا عن حصن سوتر ؛ كان قد أمضى ثلاثة أيام دون طعام ، ولم يتمكن حصانه من حمله. كان ستانتون قد أعطاه حصانًا وبعض المؤن واستمر في ذلك. قمنا الآن بتعبئة القليل الذي تركناه على بغل واحد وبدأنا مع ستانتون. ركبت والدتي بغلًا تحمل تومي في حجرها ؛ ركبت باتي وجيم خلف الهندين ، وأنا خلف السيد ستانتون ، وبهذه الطريقة سافرنا عبر المطر.

ويليام إيدي ، سي تي. ستانتون ، وويليام جريفز ، وجاي فوسديك ، وجيمس سميث ، وتشارلز برجر ، وويليام فوستر ، وأنطوان (إسباني) ، وجون بابتيست ، ولويس ، وسالفادور ، وأوغسطس سبيتزر ، وماري جريفز ، وسارة فوسديك ، وميلتون إليوت ، لكونهم أقوى أعضاء الحزب ، بدأوا في عبور الجبال سيرًا على الأقدام. قال لي إيدي ، وهو يروي القصة المؤلمة ، إنه لا يستطيع أن ينسى مشهد الفراق بينه وبين عائلته ؛ لكنه كان يأمل في الدخول والحصول على الإغاثة والعودة بوسائل إنقاذهم. بدأ كل منهما بقطعة صغيرة من اللحم البقري. لكنهم نادرا ما ذهبوا على بعد ثلاثة أميال من قمة الممر ، عندما أجبرهم الثلج ، الذي كان ناعمًا وعمق حوالي عشرة أقدام ، على العودة مرة أخرى إلى الكبائن ، التي وصلوا إليها حوالي منتصف الليل.

في اليوم التالي ، كان خافتًا جدًا بسبب نقص الطعام ، استأنف صيده ، وصادف مطولًا مسارًا ضخمًا للدببة المروعة. في ظل ظروف أخرى ، كان يفضل رؤية آثار أحدهم على رؤية الحيوان نفسه. لكن الآن ، كما كان ضعيفًا وخافتًا ، كان حريصًا على الخروج بها ... لم يمض وقت طويل في العثور على هدف بحثه. على مسافة حوالي تسعين ياردة ، رأى الدب ، ورأسه على الأرض ، منشغلًا في حفر الجذور. كان الوحش في تنورة صغيرة من البراري ، واستغل السيد إيدي شجرة التنوب الكبيرة التي كان بالقرب منها في الوقت الحالي ، وأبقى مختبئًا. بعد أن وضع الرصاصة الوحيدة في فمه التي لم تكن في بندقيته ، حتى يتمكن من إعادة التحميل بسرعة في حالة الطوارئ ، أطلق النار عمداً. تربى الدب على الفور على قدميه الخلفيتين ، ورأى الدخان المنبعث من بندقية السيد إيدي ، وركض نحوه بعنف ، وفكه مفتوحتان. بحلول الوقت الذي تم فيه إعادة تحميل البندقية ، وصل الدب إلى الشجرة ، وبصوت شرس ، لاحق السيد إيدي حوله ، الذي كان يركض أسرع من الحيوان ، وخرج به في المؤخرة ، وقام بتعطيله برصاصة في كتفه ، بحيث لم يعد قادرًا على ملاحقته. ثم أرسل الدب بضربه على رأسه بهراوة. عند الفحص ، وجد أن الطلقة الأولى اخترقت قلبه. ثم عاد إلى ماونتن كامب للمساعدة في جلب جائزته. ذهب جريفز وإدي وراء الدب. ومع ذلك ، فقد حاولوا أخيرًا الدخول إلى الدب بعد حلول الظلام. أعطى إيدي نصف السيد فوستر لاستخدام البندقية. كما تم تسليم جزء منه إلى السيد جريفز والسيدة ريد. يزن الدب حوالي 800 رطل.

لم يثبط عزيمتهم ، ودفعهم الندرة المتزايدة في الكبائن ، في العشرين (نوفمبر 1846) ، حاولوا ذلك مرة أخرى ، ونجحوا في تجاوز الانقسام ؛ لكنهم وجدوا أنه من المستحيل عليهم المضي قدمًا بسبب الحاجة إلى طيار ، فقد رفض السيد ستانتون السماح للهنود بمرافقتهم بسبب عدم تمكنهم من إحضار البغال معهم ، والتي أخذها السيد ستانتون هناك مع أحكام من JA Sutter ، قبل سقوط الثلج. هنا مرة أخرى تلاشت أحر آمالهم. واستداروا مرة أخرى بقلوب ثقيلة نحو كبائنهم البائسة. كانت السيدة مورفي وابنتها وولدان من هذا الحزب.

في العشرين (ديسمبر) أشرقت الشمس صافية وجميلة ، وهتفت بأشعةها المتلألئة ، وواصلوا طريقهم المرهق. منذ اليوم الأول ، يبدو أن السيد ستانتون لم يستطع مواكبة الأمر ، لكنه كان دائمًا يصل إلى معسكرهم بحلول الوقت الذي تم فيه إشعال حريقهم ، والاستعدادات لتمضية الليل. في هذا اليوم سافروا ثمانية أميال ونزلوا باكراً. وبينما اجتمعت ظلال المساء حولهم ، ألقى الكثيرون بنظرة قلقة من خلال الكآبة العميقة لستانتون ؛ لكنه لم يأت.

قبل الصباح ، كان الطقس عاصفًا ، وفي وضح النهار بدأوا وذهبوا لمسافة أربعة أميال ، عندما نزلوا ، ووافقوا على الانتظار ومعرفة ما إذا كان ستانتون سيصعد ؛ لكن في تلك الليلة ، كان مكانه خاليًا مرة أخرى بسبب نيرانهم غير المبتهجة ، بينما أفترض أنه هرب من كل معاناة أخرى ، واستلقى ملفوفًا في صفائح الثلج المتعرجة.

تغيرت الرياح في اليوم التالي إلى الجنوب الغربي ، وتساقط الثلج طوال اليوم. نزلوا عند غروب الشمس ، وحوالي الظلام جاء السيد ستانتون. استأنفوا رحلتهم في 22. دخل ستانتون إلى المخيم في غضون ساعة تقريبًا كالعادة. في تلك الليلة استهلكوا آخر مخزونهم القليل من المؤن. لقد اقتصروا على تناول أونصة واحدة في كل وجبة ، منذ مغادرتهم المخيم الجبلي ، والآن ذهبت الأخيرة. كان لديهم سلاح واحد ، لكنهم لم يروا مخلوقًا حيًا.

خلال هذا اليوم (23 ديسمبر) قام السيد إيدي بفحص حقيبة صغيرة بغرض التخلص من شيء ما ، بهدف التوافق بسهولة أكبر. أثناء القيام بذلك ، وجد ما يقرب من نصف رطل من لحم الدب ، والذي تم إرفاقه بورقة كتبت عليها زوجته بالقلم الرصاص ، مذكرة موقعة `` عزيزتك إليانور '' طلبت منه حفظها حتى آخر طرف. ، وأبدى رأيه بأنه سيكون وسيلة لإنقاذ حياته. في صباح هذا اليوم بقي السيد ستانتون عند نار المخيم يدخّن غليونه. طلب منهم الاستمرار ، قائلاً إنه سيتجاوزهم. كان عمق الثلج حوالي خمسة عشر قدمًا. لم يأت ستانتون معهم.

استأنفوا رحلتهم الحزينة ، وبعد السفر لمسافة ميل واحد ، نزلوا في انتظار رفيقهم. لم يكن لديهم ما يأكلونه خلال النهار. لم يأت ستانتون. تساقطت الثلوج طوال الليل وزاد عمق قدم واحدة. لقد تخلوا الآن عن ستانتون المسكين للموت.


تشارلز إي ستانتون

تشارلز ايجبرت ستانتون (22 نوفمبر 1858-8 مايو 1933) كان ضابطا في جيش الولايات المتحدة ، ونال رتبة عقيد. أحد قدامى المحاربين في الحرب الإسبانية الأمريكية ، وشغل منصب الضابط الرئيسي للصرف ومساعدًا للجنرال جون جي بيرشينج خلال الحرب العالمية الأولى. كان ستانتون ابن شقيق إدوين إم ستانتون ، وزير الحرب في عهد أبراهام لنكولن. [1] اشتهر بتضمينه عبارة "لافاييت ، نحن هنا!" في خطاب ألقاه في باريس خلال الحرب العالمية الأولى.


الصور عالية الدقة متاحة للمدارس والمكتبات من خلال الاشتراك في التاريخ الأمريكي ، 1493-1943. تحقق لمعرفة ما إذا كانت مدرستك أو مكتبتك لديها اشتراك بالفعل. أو انقر هنا لمزيد من المعلومات. يمكنك أيضًا طلب ملف pdf للصورة منا هنا.

مجموعة جيلدر ليرمان رقم: GLC02382.018 المؤلف / الخالق: ستانتون ، روبرت أ. (مواليد 1839) مكان الكتابة: s.l. النوع: خطاب موقع التاريخ: 17 مايو 1864 ترقيم الصفحات: 1 ص. 24.7 × 20.2 سم.

تقرير الذخائر خلال حملة سبوتسيلفانيا. مع ملاحظات Hunt & # 039s على الظهر. مكتوب من احتياطي مدفعية مكتب الذخائر. تخرج تشارلز إتش ويتلسي (1832-1871) من جامعة ييل عام 1853. خدم في الحرب الأهلية كملازم في أول مدفعية ثقيلة في كونيتيكت في عام 1862 ، ثم في طاقم الجنرال روبرت أو.تايلر والجنرال هوراشيو جي رايت. حصل على ترقية إلى بريفيت ميجور لخدماته في حملة عام 1864 قبل ريتشموند وحملة وادي شيناندواه عام 1864 ، برتبة مقدم لشجاعة في معارك بطرسبورغ والعقيد من أجل الشجاعة في حملة أبوماتوكس. تم تسميته بريفيه بريجادير جنرال لخدمته الباسلة في الحرب الأهلية.

تخرج تشارلز إتش ويتلسي (1832-1871) من جامعة ييل عام 1853. خدم لأول مرة في الحرب الأهلية كملازم في أول مدفعية ثقيلة في كونيتيكت عام 1862 ، ثم خدم لاحقًا في طاقم الجنرال روبرت أو.تايلر والجنرال هوراشيو جي رايت. حصل على ترقية إلى بريفيت ميجور لخدماته في حملة عام 1864 قبل ريتشموند وحملة وادي شيناندواه عام 1864 ، بريفيت كولونيل للشجاعة في معارك بطرسبورغ والعقيد من أجل الشجاعة في حملة أبوماتوكس. تم تسميته بريفيه بريجادير جنرال لخدمته الباسلة في الحرب الأهلية.


مجموعة تشارلز ب.ستانتون

تحتوي مجموعة Charles P. Stanton على نتائج خمسين عامًا من البحث في علم الأنساب. يتكون الجزء الأكبر من المجموعة ، السلسلة الخامسة ، من أكثر من 2000 شجرة عائلية ومراسلات ومواد ذات صلة لأكثر من 300 عائلة يهودية من مناطق نورمبرج وفويرث وبامبرغ وأنسباخ ودينكلسبول. كان لبعض العائلات فروع في Ichenhausen و Laupheim في Swabia. تحتوي العديد من المجلدات في هذه السلسلة على "شجرة العائلة الرئيسية" التي قام بتجميعها ستانتون. غالبًا ما كان يرسل نسخًا من أشجار العائلة الرئيسية هذه إلى الباحثين المهتمين. تمثل النسخة النهائية من بحثه حول عائلة معينة. عادةً ما تحتوي المجلدات ، التي لا تحتوي على شجرة عائلة رئيسية ، على نسخ أصغر من أشجار العائلة ، إما تم تجميعها بواسطة العائلات نفسها أو بواسطة Stanton. تحتوي جميع المجلدات تقريبًا أيضًا على مواد بحثية ومراسلات ، والتي تحتوي على معلومات أنساب إضافية. يمكن العثور على ملاحظات ومسودات لأشجار العائلة الرئيسية في السلسلة IV. تضم هذه المجموعة أيضًا ملاحظات عن العديد من البلدات والمدن في فرانكونيا ، الواقعة في السلسلة الثالثة.

يمكن العثور على ملاحظات ومواد بحثية أكثر عمومية مثل الخرائط والفهارس القديمة والعناوين والنعي والأوراق النقدية المحفوظة جيدًا من Theresienstadt في السلسلة الثانية.

تحتوي المجموعة فقط على عدد قليل من العناصر الشخصية المتعلقة بـ Charles P. Stanton. تتضمن السلسلة الأولى وثائق حول خدمته العسكرية وأنشطته كعضو في كنيسة جريس وجمعية خريجي جامعة كورنيل. يمكن للمستخدمين أيضًا العثور على المراسلات العامة التي يرجع تاريخها أساسًا إلى التسعينيات في هذه السلسلة.

بلح

المنشئ

لغة المواد

القيود المفروضة على الوصول

استخدام القيود

قد تكون هناك بعض القيود على استخدام المجموعة. للمزيد من المعلومات الرجاء الاتصال:

معهد ليو بيك ، مركز التاريخ اليهودي ، 15 West 16th Street ، New York ، NY ، 10011

مذكرة السيرة الذاتية

Charles Perry Stanton's parents, Fritz and Hella Steinlein (née Kaufmann) were en route from Nuremberg to the United States when Charles was born in Zurich in December 1935. His older brother Peter was born in Nuremberg in August 1930. The family settled in Great Neck, NY and converted to Christianity. Charles Stanton was baptized and brought up as an Episcopalian. On November 9, 1938 the family changed the last name from Steinlein to Stanton.

Charles Stanton studied law at Cornell University and graduated in 1957. Following his graduation, he served as Lieutenant in the US Army until 1965. He then worked for J.P. Morgan for over twenty-five years. Later, he joined the financial services office of the Pratt family, which founded the Pratt Institute. He was also active in the local Episcopal church, and served as treasurer, clerk and member of the choir.

In 1969, Charles Stanton married Julia (Judy) Duke Henning. They had two daughters: Julie and Charlotte

Since the age of fourteen, Charles Stanton had been involved with genealogy and researched the Jewish families of Franconia, where his family had lived for many generations before the Holocaust. In the 1990s, he worked extensively with Gisela Blume from Zirndorf , Germany and Dan Barlev from Jerusalem.


Historic Site Sign

Antelope Station prospered with the mining industry, which by 1871 was flourishing along Weaver Gulch on the east and Antelope Creek on the west. During that year Charles C. Genung started construction of a road through town to accommodate the stage lines. Yaqui Wilson opened a store in partnership with John Timmerman, and a man named William Partridge started a hotel and station in prepa ration for the arrival of overland passengers. Barney Martin and his wife owned a neat red-brick store in the center of town. Thus Chuck Stanton had three competitors and he had a consuming determination to dispatch them all and be come the town's absolute ruler.

He hadn't long to wait for his chance to act, as prosperity soon brought the least desirable element to town with the advent of the notorious Venezuela gang, as bloodthirsty crew as ever roamed the Southwest. Stanton immediately be came an intimate of the Venezuelas and in mere weeks was their recognized leader. So began the bloody extermination of his competitors, one by one, and a rapid rise to power by methods as devious and ruthless as the man himself.

The road was completed by Genung in 1872, and Ante lope Station became a regular stop for two stage lines: the Pierson and the Jim Grant. Passengers from both lines in variably went to the Wilson-Timmerman store for rest and refreshments, a fact that infuriated Partridge and at the same time afforded Stanton a method of disposing of two hated rivals with one stone. His chance had arrived sooner than he'd expected.

In addition to running his store and stage stop, Wilson raised pigs and prickly pears at his home. One day when he was on a trip to Prescott , the pigs got out and caused considerable damage at Partridge's. Before Wilson 's return Stanton instructed his Mexican ruffians to pass the word along to Partridge that Wilson was out to get him. Receipt of this message, together with the existent ill feeling concerning the stage passengers, stirred Partridge to a white-hot fury, and immediately upon Wilson 's return, Partridge sent word for him to come and get his pigs forthwith. Wilson started to retrieve his pigs, carrying a sack of prickly pears with which to entice them home. A stage driver who witnessed the entire affair testified at the resulting trial that Wilson was unarmed when he started from his home. As he approached Partridge's place Partridge shot him dead without warning, then ran away and hid in the hills above town. The next day he proceeded to Prescott , where he gave himself up and was subsequently sentenced to the Territorial Prison at Yuma .


HistoryLink.org

During August and September 1841, the United States Exploring Expedition, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes (1798-1877), carries out a hydrographic survey of the Columbia River from its mouth to the Cascades. The expedition's appearance at Fort Vancouver alarms the British Hudson's Bay Company officials.

British and American Interests

Hydrographic investigations of the Columbia River course were not new when the United States Exploring Expedition began its survey of the river in 1841. Lieutenant William Broughton (1762-1821) of HMS Chatham had crossed the Columbia River bar in 1792 and used his ship's boats to survey upriver for about 120 miles to support British claims of territorial possession. In 1839, Royal Navy captain Edward Belcher (1799-1897) took HMS Starling و HMS كبريت upriver to Fort Vancouver.

The United States Exploring Expedition began charting the Columbia River in September 1841. Lieutenant Wilkes had made a preliminary visit to the Columbia in May of that year. He traveled overland from Nisqually and then by canoe down the Cowlitz River to the Columbia. From there, he descended to Fort George at the mouth of the river. Along the way, the view of Mount St. Helens inspired him to name the stretch of the Columbia near its confluence with the Cowlitz as St. Helen's Reach.

Charles Wilkes

Wilkes had received command of the Exploring Expedition only after several more senior officers refused it. He was junior for the responsibility but stood out among naval officers for his training in mathematics and triangulation. When first a candidate to go along on the expedition in 1828, he had been a lieutenant for only two years. In the following years he served as Superintendent of the Depot of Charts and Instruments at Washington, D.C. When the venture actually got underway in 1838, he moved into the commanding officer's slot despite having considerably less sea-going experience than some of his subordinates.

In July 1841, Wilkes sailed in his flagship فينسين from Puget Sound to the mouth of the Columbia. He sent Vincennes on to California, taking command of USS خنزير البحر, another expedition vessel more suited to river exploration. ال أوريغون, a 250-ton merchant brig Wilkes purchased at Fort George, accompanied خنزير البحر on her upriver journey. خنزير البحر was a 224-ton, 10-gun brigantine (a two-masted ship rigged with square sails and a fore-and-aft mainsail) 88 feet in length, a 25-foot beam, and a depth in hold of 11 feet. The Boston Navy Yard built her in 1836.

On the Columbia

The ships served as home bases. Crews dispatched in the ships' boats did most of the hydrographic work. Fear of malaria dictated the working schedule. "Falling damps," or night dew was the suspected source of the disease. (We now know that malaria is caused by a parasite carried by infected mosquitoes.) Survey boats did not leave the ships before 9 a.m. Before departing, surveyors put on clean and dry clothing, breakfasted, and took time to smoke. Wilkes required that the boats return at least an hour before sunset. Then the ships spread awnings fore and aft as shelters from nighttime moisture.

Wilkes led the way as the expedition moved upriver. His gig was constantly ahead of the other boats. When sailors left a campfire unattended at the foot of Mount Coffin, near the mouth of the Cowlitz, it set fire to trees where Indians had placed their dead in canoes. He attempted to placate the Chinooks with presents, explaining that the conflagration was an accident. Later Wilkes said that there probably would have been trouble, were the Indians not so weakened by malaria and smallpox.

Smoke on the River

خنزير البحر و أوريغون followed the boats upriver, occasionally running aground. On one occasion, they became stuck on opposite sides of the river. Assistant Surgeon Silas Holmes, an acerbic wit, commented that the ships "formed excellent buoys, pointing out the dangers on either side" (Stanton).

The surveyors also suffered from smoke generated by fires burning along the river. The Indians set them to clear ground and drive game. On at least one day, smoke lay so thickly over the river that the surveyors could not work. Wilkes, a stern disciplinarian, reprimanded Lieutenant William M. Walker (1813-1866) for taking three bottles of brandy as a reward for his boat's crew, who "sweated and choked in the smoke that lay low on the river" (Stanton).

The Hudson's Bay Company

At the end of August, خنزير البحر و أوريغون reached Fort Vancouver, about 100 miles from the sea. Wilkes sent Lieutenant Walker with four boats to continue charting as far as the falls at the Cascades, about 160 to 165 miles from the river mouth. Lieutenant Oliver Hazard Perry took four more boats to survey the Willamette up to its falls. The hydrographers concluded that sea-going vessels should go no farther than Fort Vancouver, where the Columbia was at least 14 feet deep at all seasons.

Coincidentally, the American explorers reached Fort Vancouver when Sir George Simpson (1792-1860), North American Governor for the Hudson's Bay Company, was visiting. Wilkes dined with Simpson and Dr. John McLoughlin (1784-1857), the official in charge of Fort Vancouver. While at Fort Vancouver, Wilkes made a side trip to the Willamette Valley. He told American settlers there that the time had not yet come to try to establish a civil government under the American flag. At this time, there were about 40 Americans in the Willamette Valley. None were known to be living north of the Columbia River.

Wilkes told Simpson that he intended to recommend that the United States claim the Oregon Territory as far north as 54°40'N (approximately today's southern boundary of Alaska). Sir George later wrote to the British Foreign Office saying that the land south of the Columbia was not worth contesting. But Britain, he recommended, should not "consent to any boundary which would give the United States any portion of the Territory north of the Columbia River" (Walker).

Hudson's Bay officers at Fort Vancouver offered every assistance and warm hospitality to the U.S. Navy party. Nevertheless, the appearance of two U.S. warships off the fort and Wilkes's revelation probably influenced the decision Hudson's Bay Company officials would later make to remove accumulated stores at Fort Vancouver to a new post at Victoria, which they established in 1843.

On the downriver trip, Wilkes became ill but continued to work. Then a 16-mile side trip up the Cowlitz nearly ended his life. On the way back to the Columbia, his gig hit a snag. The impact knocked down two of the boat's crew while low-hanging branches ensnared and nearly strangled the expedition's commander.

خنزير البحر
و أوريغون reached the mouth of the Columbia on September 30. There they joined the تحلق الأسماك. After taking on supplies, the expedition's ships left the Columbia River to sail south on October 9, 1841.

Paul Allen Virtual Education Foundation

Charles Wilkes (1798-1877)

Fort Vancouver, 1841

Sketch by Joseph Drayton, Courtesy Fuller, A History of the Pacific Northwest

Woodcut made on U.S. Exploring Expedition of Indian baskets, 1841

Woodcut by J. H. Manning, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA4000)

Woodcut made on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of Columbia River Indian fishing huts, The Dalles, 1841

Woodcut by J. Drayon, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA3996)

مصادر:

Howard I. Chapelle, The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (London: Salamander Books Ltd., 1949) Barry M. Gough, The Royal Navy and the Northwest Coast of North America 1810-1914: A Study of British Maritime Ascendancy (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 1971) William Stanton, The Great United States Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1975) David B. Tyler, The Wilkes Expedition: The First United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842) (Philadelphia: The American Philosophical Society, 1968) Dale L. Walker, Pacific Destiny: The Three Century Journey to the Oregon Country (New York: Tom Doherty Associates, 2000) Charles Wilkes, Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition During the Years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, and 1842 المجلدات. I-V, Microfiche 20926-20929 (Chicago: Library of American Civilization, [1845] 1970).


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Springboro Area Yesterday:

“Springboro has never had the advantages to be derived from a railroad connection with the outside world,” bemoaned Jessie Wright in his 1915, centennial address for the village. “Let us hope that Springboro may yet get on the map…the railroad map.”

Were Jesse Wright to return to his hometown today he may be surprised to find the flourishing community which exists in spite of an absence of the hoped-for railroad. The tiny village founded on the banks of Clear Creek in 1815, by his grandfather, Jonathan, now sprawls into two counties, Warren and Montgomery, in beautiful southwest Ohio. The Springboro Area Historical Society preserves Jessie’s words and spirit in its dedication to the unique heritage of its ancestors. The historical society came together in 1992, to save the 1798, Christian and Charles Null cabin located on what is now Heatherwoode Golf Course and its work continues with preservation and education efforts throughout the community.

A commemorative history, edited by Rebecca Hall, was published for the sesquicentennial in 1965, and in the 2003, Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History , a wonderful survey of the people and landscapes of the area, was produced by the City of Springboro Historic Commission in cooperation with historical society and edited by Rebecca Hall.

The museum offers a selection of local history and genealogy reference materials, maps of the city, township and county, and an large collection of artifacts and pictures.

Residents share the Society’s pride in their community since 1915, they have come together every Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day to parade through the historic streets of the old town.

Springboro’s founder, Jonathan Wright, followed his father, Joel, to the Miami Valley in 1814. The Wrights and perhaps a dozen other Quaker families came from their home in Pennsylvania, journeying along the Ohio River up the Little Miami River to Waynesville and nearby Springboro where they found clear, abundant water.

Jonathan Wright settled on the banks of Clear Creek, west of the earlier settlement, and in 1815, platted “Springborough.”

By 1840, 417 residents called Springboro home, with names such as Null, Stanton, Frey (Frye), Greggs, Crocketts and Mullins, joining the Wrights on the town roster.

Methodist Episcopal, Universalist, German Reformed and Presbyterian churches followed in short order.

The county has never been at a loss for religious sentiment with over 60 churches established by 1850, and many of the faithful soon moved on to found schools. Francis Glass is noted as the first school teacher, beginning in 1816, and by the mid 1800s, ten schools were scattered throughout the township serving 750 students. The Springboro Special School District opened in 1837, with lessons in English, mathematics, science and Latin.

Aron Wright served as president for nine years before returning to New York state unfortunately, the college did not long outlast him and its doors closed in 1883.

For more informal pursuits, residents turned to the Springboro Library Association, founded in 1832, at the corner of Market and Main Streets, where librarian and town physician Dr. Joseph Stanton presided. The Grange, Masons, Knights of Pythias, United American Mechanics and the Oddfellows offered philanthropic and social outlets for the gentlemen. Book Regular lectures and numerous book clubs informed and entertained local residents. Jessie Wright reports with some relish possessing the journals of a “mock Legislature” which met from 1841-45, for a “profitable form of amusement during the long winter evenings,” including drama and debates.

Springboro’s Quaker roots remained strong. From its founding, when Jonathan Wright parceled lots to new settlers, a deed restriction prohibited the sale of whiskey on the land for a period of ten years. However, thirsty travelers were not without respite Wright’s property ended at North and Franklin Streets and ingenuity led to all the taverns being located north of that line in “Carr’s Addition.” Jessie’s centennial address also notes “no less than fifteen distilleries” in a two mile radius of the village in its early days. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union, a force to be reckoned with throughout the county, succeeded in keeping liquor sales out of Springboro for over forty years in the late 1800s.

In 1999, Springboro erected the first municipal Underground Railroad Historic Marker and the city of Springboro participates in regular celebrations of its special place in a turbulent period of our national history.

Springboro’s population grew steadily at the turn of the twentieth century. Farmers from many of the nearly three hundred local farms moved to town in their later years looking for an easier life. By 1880, Beers’ History of Warren County listed Springboro census at 553. The next 100 years saw the town balloon to 12,380 (2000 census). The Springboro Community City School District has grown from an estimated 200 students in 1880 meeting in a single building at East and Market Streets to 5,500 students in nine buildings spread throughout the community. A new city hall and police department was inaugurated in 2009, at 320 West Central to afford local government sufficient space to meet the demands of the growing community. A Strategic Master Plan was developed in the late 1990s and another ten years later in an effort to better oversee city expansion as local officials struggle to make that dream a reality with an updated Land Use Master Plan in early 2009.

For a town the railroad left behind, Springboro has done well indeed, and the people of Springboro remain committed to recording its history – and its progress – for years to come.

“A Time to Look Back.” Bicentennial Supplement to The Western Star. 30 June 1976. (MFH)

(The) History of Warren County . Chicago, Illinois: W.H. Beers & Co., 1882.

Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History . Rebecca Easton Hall, ed.

Springboro Community City School District website .

In 2000, the City of Springboro completed their study and creation of Springboro’s Historic Design Standards (pdf). Though oriented towards preservation of our historic buildings through design standards, a good deal of the history of Springboro and the history of architecture, design and construction is included in the one hundred twenty-eight page report.

The house to left is on the northwest corner of S. Main St and Market St. and was built around 1858, by James P. Griffin, a druggist. The outlines of the house can still be seen behind the commercial facade. Later, William H. Newport, a dry goods merchant, lived there, and it was then occupied from 1892-1910, by Joseph M. Bunnell, a grocer, per Rob Strawser’s Yesterday, Historic Properties in Springboro , Historic Homes, Property Sales and Transaction in Olde Springboro and Surrounding Lands .)


The Enslaved Households of President John Tyler

Born to an affluent family in 1790, John Tyler spent most of his life in Charles City County, Virginia. He was raised on the Tyler family plantation, Greenway, and primarily lived there until his marriage to Letitia Christian in 1813. 1 His father, John Tyler Sr., served as a representative in the Virginia House of Delegates, governor of Virginia, and eventually judge of the United States District Court for the District of Virginia. Judge Tyler was also a prominent slave owner—by 1810, there were twenty-six enslaved individuals living at Greenway plantation. 2 These enslaved men, women, and children were the people maintaining the property, farming the land, and providing the means for the growing Tyler family.

Like his father, John attended the College of William and Mary, graduating in 1807. He then prepared for a career in law, studying with his father and Edmund Randolph, former United States Attorney General. After Judge Tyler died in 1813, he left Greenway and thirteen enslaved individuals to his son John. 3 That same year, John purchased a tract of land in Charles City County and built his own plantation, Woodburn, shortly thereafter. 4 According to the 1820 census, there were twenty-four enslaved people living at Woodburn with the Tylers. 5 Ten years later, the Tyler household had grown exponentially from three to seven children, ranging in age from fifteen-year-old Mary to newborn Tazewell. The enslaved community had grown as well—twenty-nine individuals, more than half of which were under the age of ten, were counted at the Tyler property. These enslaved children helped their mothers and fathers with their various tasks, but some likely became young caretakers for the Tyler children. 6

During the 1820s and 1830s, Tyler held a series of prominent political positions at both the state and national level. While he considered himself a Democrat, he sometimes opposed President Andrew Jackson’s policies—specifically whenever the president opted to use executive power at the expense of the states. After he finished serving in the United States Senate, Tyler returned to practicing law and later ran for a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates. In 1839, the Whig Party nominated William Henry Harrison for president. Tyler, a Virginian slave owner and lifelong Democrat, was strategically added to the ticket to entice southerners to vote for Harrison. This tactic, along with the campaign’s efforts to villainize President Martin Van Buren for the country’s economic woes while casting Harrison as a military hero and commoner, delivered a decisive electoral victory for the Whig Party. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Too” became the oft-repeated slogan of their supporters, but this relationship changed dramatically after the unexpected death of President Harrison on April 4, 1841. Click here to learn more about the enslaved households of President Martin Van Buren.

This 1888 engraving depicts a messenger delivering the news of President William Henry Harrison's death to Vice President John Tyler at his Williamsburg home on April 5, 1841.

Fletcher Webster, the son of Secretary of State Daniel Webster, delivered the shocking news to Vice President John Tyler at his home in Williamsburg, Virginia. Tyler set out for Washington, D.C., and quickly asserted himself as the new President of the United States. He took a new oath of office with the members of Harrison’s Cabinet present, and three days later issued an inaugural address to the American people:

For the first time in our history the person elected to the Vice-Presidency of the United States, by the happening of a contingency provided for in the Constitution, has had devolved upon him the Presidential office…My earnest prayer shall be constantly addressed to the all-wise and all-powerful Being who made me, and by whose dispensation I am called to the high office of President of this Confederacy, understandingly to carry out the principles of that Constitution which I have sworn "to protect, preserve, and defend." 7

About a week after Harrison’s funeral, President Tyler and his family moved into the Executive Mansion. There is little surviving documentation that tells us about the household staff, but there are bits and pieces of evidence suggesting that there were both free and enslaved African Americans working at the Tyler White House. 8 Abolitionist William Still’s The Underground Rail Road detailed the lives and experiences of African Americans who made the journey from slavery to freedom. Still shared the biography of James Hambleton Christian, who was born into slavery on the plantation of Robert Christian and claimed he was the half-brother of First Lady Letitia Christian Tyler. 9 James worked for both the Christian and Tyler families, and at the Tyler White House.

The Colored American, November 20, 1841

NewsBank/ American Antiquarian Society

There was also a man named James Wilkins, who worked as a butler for the first family. While there is scant documentation about him, newspaper accounts suggest that he was a free man who worked for wages and managed the staff. An African-American newspaper in New York City, The Colored American, published an article about him on November 20, 1841, and it was picked up by multiple presses throughout the country. According to this column, Wilkins had his own office, oversaw the expenses of the house, and employed both his son and daughter to work at the President’s House. The article concluded: “President Tyler has in all 18 colored persons hired—he has but two of his slaves with him, as servants. This is the first time that any of our Presidents have made a colored man the chief butler of his household. His ‘illustrious predecessors’ have had white men. Surely we are getting up slowly.” 10 While there were certainly other possible motivations for printing this news, Wilkins does appear again during an 1842 debate in the House of Representatives. He is referred to as “Jim Wilkins, the President’s butler,” which suggests that Wilkins did have a role—and a higher one—than expected for the times. 11

There is another documented enslaved individual—President Tyler’s valet—though there is some confusion over his actual name. Contemporary accounts refer to him as either “Armistead” or “Henry” another possibility may be that his name was actually Henry Armistead. Regardless, he appears in the news as one of the six victims of the tragic explosion aboard the USS برينستون on February 28, 1844. New Jersey Congressman George Sykes, who was on board the برينستون, described him as “the president’s servant…a stout black man about 23 or 24 years old and lived about an hour after” the accident. While Sykes doesn’t give a name, he did mention that “the blackman’s” coffin was made of cherry, and “the president’s servant was buried by the coloured persons—and his relations—the next day.” 12 The Daily Madisonian noted that there were six hearses, one of which “conveyed the body of one of the President’s colored servants, to the President’s mansion.” 13 While newspaper coverage fails to shed more light on this particular individual, they do consistently state that one of the president’s servants—likely his enslaved valet—was killed on the Princeton. Writing from the White House that fall, Julia Gardiner Tyler mentioned an enslaved woman named "Aunt Fanny" in a letter to her mother Fanny was likely brought to Washington by President Tyler. These four identified individuals, a mix of free and enslaved African Americans, worked in the Tyler White House. 14

The Daily National Intelligencer, February 28, 1844

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Newspaper accounts from the time also suggest that there were other enslaved individuals working at the White House. Two days before the برينستون explosion, an investigation began into an alleged robbery that took place at the President’s House. وفقا ل Daily National Intelligencer, “a colored woman named Mary Murphy” was “charged with stealing silver table and teaspoons, the property of the United States.” The magistrates held a man named “Avery” on the charge of receiving stolen property, and the report also mentioned that “a colored servant belonging to the President is also implicated in this theft.” 15

According to the 1844 D.C. Criminal Court records, George Avery and Susan Goodyear were first charged with larceny in March however, the charges were reduced to receiving stolen goods in June. John Tyler, Jr., was present at their court appearances, likely as a witness on behalf of his father. According to one newspaper, “Susan Goodyear, indicted for receiving three silver spoons belonging to the President’s House, knowing them to have been stolen, was acquitted…George Avery, also indicted for the same offence, was acquitted. Mr. Hoban, counsel for the accused, submitted a number of testimonials from gentlemen in Baltimore and Alexandria, showing for the accused an excellent character.” In a great twist of irony, the public defender for Avery was James Hoban, Jr., the son of the architect who built and rebuilt the President’s House. 16

The criminal court records indicate that this theft occurred—but what of Mary Murphy and the implicated enslaved servant? Her absence from the court proceedings means she was never charged with a crime—and if she was a free woman, the city attorney certainly would have prosecuted her for stealing from the President’s House. However, if Mary Murphy was enslaved and hired out to work at the Tyler White House, her owner may have decided to sell her before she faced charges and lost her value. Many slave owners sold those that resisted enslavement, or in their minds “misbehaved” or were “troublesome” as a result, enslaved individuals lived with the constant fear that at any moment they could be sold and sent to the Deep South.

This court docket shows that George Avery and Susan Goodyear, charged with "Receiving Stolen Goods," were found 'Not Guilty' by a jury of peers on February 7, 1845.

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Mary’s owner may have been a man named Jeremiah Murphy, who ran a confectionary store on Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 10th streets. According to the 1840 census, Murphy owned one enslaved woman—and this woman’s experience working at this type of establishment may have made her a valuable employee in a kitchen or dining room, places where a servant would have direct access to tableware. 17 While this theory is speculative, it might explain Mary Murphy’s disappearance from the criminal court records and newspaper coverage. If the newspaper account is true and President Tyler’s enslaved servant aided Mary’s alleged theft, he or she might have faced a similar punishment, but there is no surviving documentation of this individual.

President Tyler appears seldom in these records, but when he does, it is usually an instance of nolle prosequi, a Latin phrase meaning “we shall no longer prosecute.” The President of the United States served as an executive to the country and within the District itself. Lawyers could appeal on behalf of their defendants by going directly to the president, who possessed the authority to direct the city attorney to drop criminal charges. President Tyler used this power several times in 1844—first, for John Green and Thomas Ratcliff, charged with larceny on March 6. The other instances were for two enslaved men, Samuel Gassaway and Charles Coates, charged with housebreaking and stealing. According to one newspaper account, Gassaway and Coates stole “three pairs of boots and a box of cigars” from the Georgetown store of James and Henry Thecker. They were found guilty and subject to punishment by death, but their case was “recommended to the clemency of the Executive.” 18 On June 20, 1844, President Tyler directed the city attorney to drop the charges against these enslaved men—but not much else is known about them. The president used this legal authority sparingly, which suggests that he knew of them or, upon hearing appeals from their owners, politely acquiesced to their requests. 19 Research is ongoing to learn more about Samuel Gassaway, Charles Coates, and whether they had any prior relationship to President Tyler or the Tyler family.

This court docket shows that "Neg. Saml Gassaway" was charged with "House breaking & Stealing" in October 1843. Further down, the entry states: "Nolle Prosequi by direction of the President of the U.S. and by order of the District Attorney. Filed June 20, 1844."

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Despite his appeal for a “lofty patriotism” over the “spirit of faction,” President Tyler quickly found himself at odds with Cabinet members and leaders in the Whig Party. His veto of legislation that would revive the Second Bank of the United States sparked a visceral reaction from both politicians and citizens alike. An angry mob descended upon the White House in the middle of the night, banging on drums and kettles while shouting obscenities at the president. They burned an effigy of Tyler, chanting “‘down with Tyler,’ ‘hurrah for Clay,’ [and] ‘give us a bank.’” 20 The Whig Party cast Tyler out, and most of his Cabinet resigned over this episode. Things became even more contentious when on July 22, 1842, Virginia Representative John Minor Botts presented a petition “requesting ‘John Tyler, the acting President of the United States,’ to resign his office and in case he do not comply with such request, they pray that he may be impeached, ‘on the grounds of his ignorance of the interest and true policy of this Government, and want of qualification for the discharge of the important duties of President of the United States.” 21 While this measure ultimately proved unsuccessful, this became the first instance of Congress attempting to impeach a president in American history.

The Daily National Intelligencer, October 26, 1843

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Considering the political turmoil that engulfed his presidency, it was hardly surprising when neither party selected Tyler to be its presidential nominee in 1848. He quietly left office and returned to Sherwood Forest, his plantation estate in Charles City County, Virginia. 22 By 1850, there were forty-six enslaved individuals working at the Tyler property ten years later, that number decreased slightly to forty-four. 23 This increase also coincided with the second expansion of the Tyler family, as the president had married twenty-four-year-old Julia Gardiner in 1844. The couple went on to have seven children, and they enjoyed hosting guests for dinner and dancing at Sherwood Forest. Near the outbreak of the Civil War, Tyler served as a representative at the Peace Conference of 1861 but ultimately rejected the proposed resolutions. He would go on to serve as an elected representative for the Confederacy, but he did not live to see the end of the war.

On January 18, 1862, he died in Richmond, Virginia at age 71. While he had requested a simple burial, political leaders of the Confederacy organized a state funeral for the former president. His remains laid in state in the Hall of Congress in Richmond, covered “with the flag of his country.” 24 Memorial services were held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, followed by a procession to Hollywood Cemetery. 25 His death also marked a new era of uncertainty for the enslaved men, women, and children held in bondage by the Tyler family. Union soldiers descended upon Sherwood Forest in 1864, and their presence gave the enslaved community an opportunity to escape. The troops also inflicted damage on the property, stole items from the house, and confiscated or destroyed Tyler’s papers. 26 As a result, we know very little about those enslaved by the Tyler family—but hope to learn more as our research continues.

Thank you to Dr. Christopher Leahy, Professor of History at Keuka College, and Sharon Williams Leahy of History Preserve, for sharing their insights and research for this article.


Four Centuries

Algonquian-speaking Native Americans migrated here from the north at least 800 years before the first Europeans arrived, taking up land that had been occupied by other tribes as early as 10,000 years before. In 1613 Europeans planted a settlement at West and Shirley Hundred on the north side of the James River. Settlers planted six more settlements in quick succession along the same shore. The native inhabitants were scattered, but in diminished numbers they clung to the land.

From the early seeds of European settlement, great tobacco plantations grew and with them the need for labor. During the late 1600s and early 1700s, the labor of enslaved Africans quickly replaced that of English indentured servants. During the 1800s the Civil War brought emancipation to these slaves and other changes in the way residents earned their livelihood. Logging, fishing and small-scale farming became the primary way of life for Charles City residents well into the 1900s.

Today, only a small number of county residents continue to draw their livelihood from the forests, the water and the land. Yet, Charles City residents remain tied to this land, a timeless setting and the birthplace of ancestors.


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Stanton's post office was established March 5, 1875 and was discontinued June 15, 1905. At the base of Rich Hill, Stanton had in its heyday a five stamp mill, boardinghouse, store, and at least a dozen houses. Named after Charles P. Stanton, the camp is rumored to have started as early as 1963. Stanton was killed in his own store by two Mexican bandits who were revenging Stanton's insult to one Cristo Lucero's sister. Stanton was a ruthless person who plotted to kill people for his own benefit and had the blood of many people on his conscious. He never committed the acts himself, but hired others to do them. Several buildings are still at the site today.

Originally named Antelope Station, name changed in 1875 to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as postma-ster, because there was another Antelope Station. - GT

Stanton (Antelope Station). To reach Stanton you shall pass Congress and drive in the north direction on SR 89. When you pass Congress keep eyes with the Frog Rock on the left side on the road. Road to Stanton is on the right hand, 2 miles after Congress. From SR 89 to Stanton is a 6 miles god dirt road. Stanton, originally named An-telope Station was a small town beside Antelope Creek. Charles P. Stanton arrived to Antelope Station in 1870 after he quit the job as in Vulture mine. The town had a stagecoach station, owned by one Englishman with the name William Par-tridge and country store wish was owned by G. H. "Yaqui" Wilson. Wilson had a pigs, and they were often on Partridge's ground and eat the things witch were stored for the travellers. Charles P. Stanton made a devils plans how to make use of arguments between Partridge and Wilson and how he can eliminate both of them, because he was thinking they will leave both business to him. So, one day when he meet Partridge, he told him that pigs owner are after him. That was a big lie, but Partridge believed him, and he shoot Wilson as soon he saw him. Partridge were arrested, questioned, convicted and sent to jail in Yuma. In Yuma he complained that the Wilsons ghost was after him all the time. But, the things were not as planet for Stanton. Wilson had a secret partner by the name Tim-merman who overtook the store, and the jailed Partridge had creditors who sold his stagecoach station to Barney Martin. Stanton, who was mad about all this, rented a group of desperado s leaded by a local gunman by the name Francisco Vega to take away both of them. Shortly after that, Vega killed first Timmer-man. In 1875 the town changed name to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as a postma-ster. Post office opened on mart 5, 1875. Beside Stanton, only man who had a power was Bar-ney Mar-tin. In July 1886 the remains of Martin and his family were found north of the town, killed from the ambush. On that way Charles Stan-ton become the brutally that control he was dreaming about, but not for a long time. In November that year the law was satisfied when a young member of Vega gang, Christero Lucero, shot Stanton because he bothered Luceros sister. When he was to escape from the town, he meets one of Stanton s enemies by the name Tom Pierson. When Lucero told him what he was done, story says that Pierson told him. "You don t need to escape. If you stay, it s you who shall have a reward". Nobody fall tears for Stanton and in following 4 years the town of Stanton become as dead as Stanton self even the town still has his name. Post office closed in 1890 when the miners closed but opened again in 1894. In the town lived about 200 people. Post office closed definitive on June 15, 1905 and Stanton become ghost town. Reason why the town is in good condition is because the town was closed for the public in many years. Only 3 buildings (private owners) from the original town stand today and they are good preserved and awake memories about "Old West". Stanton is turn on to be a RV park, and the area is owned by Lost Dutchman Mining Association who preserves buildings. Bobby Zlatevski

Stanton does allow the public into the gates to visit the Ghost Town. I know because I have been spending the winter there since 2002. Visitors just have to park at the flagpole and check in at the office. Lost Dutchman Mining Association is a gold prospecting organization and does not go about restoring buildings, but they have restored some of the old Stanton buildings so they can use them. Most of the buildings are used by club members. (2008)


ستانتون
Courtesy Joe Grumbo


Charles Stanton and his store
Courtesy Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott


ستانتون


ستانتون


شاهد الفيديو: Steven Pinker on Language, Reason, and the Future of Violence full. Conversations with Tyler (شهر اكتوبر 2021).